Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
The most iconic dessert in Tennessee is Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake. It is believed to be the traditional and delicious dish you have ever taste in your life time. It is quintessential dessert that bring smiles to old times. This cake also served in weddings as people of Tennessee like it very much. Stake cakes are moist and dense, rich with deep molasses flavour and a hearty apple flavour which is known as Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake. It is a unique cake. You have to bake and shape this cake without a cake container so that they are brittle and dry. After this you can moist them back up with a dried apple filling that is spiced and sweet both.
What is Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake?
It is a labour-intensive and an unusual cake. To make this dish, first you have to rolled out the dough like cookie. Now it’s time to bake it into a hard disk container that will get mildly saturated with sugar, spices and dried apples. The main and important element of this dish is timing. It must be wrapped and left in the refrigerator atleast overnight. You can wrap it with aluminium foil, dish towel, wax paper or plastic wrap. You should keep it well covered so the moisture will not goes away.
Recipe for Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
Ingredients to make Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
– Dried Apples (10 to 12)
– Water (4 cups)
– Granulated Sugar (4 cups)
– Molasses (2 tablespoons)
– Nutmeg (2 teaspoons)
– Cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
– Icing Sugar (for serving)
For Cake Layers
– Unsalted Butter (6 ounce)
– Buttermilk (1/2 cup)
– Eggs (2)
– All-purpose Flour (5 cups)
– Molasses (3/4 cup)
– Granulated Sugar (1 cup)
– Cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon)
– Baking Powder (1 teaspoon)
– Baking Soda (1/2 teaspoon)
– Salt (1 teaspoon)
How to make Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
Instructions to make Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
For Cake Layers
1. To make this delicious dish, preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the centre.
2. Now whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
3. After this add the molasses to the butter and sugar mixture and reduce mixer speed to low.
4. Now add eggs one at a time and allowing each to combine completely.
5. Now alternatively add the all-purpose flour and buttermilk mixture.
6. After this, shape the dough into a ball and wrap the dough in aluminium foil or plastic wrap.
7. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
8. Now divide the dough into 8 pieces. The pieces should be equal in shape.
9. Now roll each disc onto a pieces of parchment paper and place a cake pan over the dough.
10. After this, lift the disc onto baking sheets.
11. Now bake the cake layer for 10 minutes.
12. Now transfer the cake layer into another container and let it cool.
1. Now take a large sauce pan, combine the nutmeg, dried apples, molasses, cinnamon, sugar and water.
2. After this, bring the mixture to a simmer.
3. Now transfer the mixture to a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
4. After this, pulse the mixture into a thick paste.
5. Now spread 1 cup of filling onto each but the top cake layer being sure to centre.
6. After this, wrap the cake in aluminium foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast overnight.
7. Now dust with icing sugar and serve it.
8. Your Mountain Stake Cake is ready.
Nutrition in Tennessee Mountain Stake Cake
Vitamin C- 36mg
Vitamin A- 2589IU
Saturated Fat- 5g
California Tamale Pie
Ham Biscuit Recipe
Candace McCowan Biography