What is Booster Dose, What is Booster Dose of Corona Vaccine, Booster Dose of COVID Vaccine, Third Dose of Corona Vaccine, Additional Dose of Corona Vaccine, Booster Dose, Why We Need COVID-19 Booster Shot, Booster Shot of Corona Vaccine, Booster Dose of Corona Vaccine In India, COVID Booster Dose
Booster doses and additional doses of corona vaccine serves different purpose for different groups (COVID Booster Dose) of people. An additional dose is recommended for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, because they may not have built enough protection after the initial series. In contrast booster dose helps boost immune system for better, longer lasting protection after the strong, initial protection decrease over time.
Booster Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine
A ‘Booster Dose’ is a supplemental vaccine dose given to people when the immune response to a primary vaccine series is likely to have decreased over time. The primary Covid-19 vaccination series continues to be highly effective at reducing severe disease, hospitalization and death caused by Covid-19. However, experts are starting to see that protection against mild to moderate disease can fade over time. The booster dose is intended to boost immune system for better, long lasting protection.
Safety data from other countries and the centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that booster and additional doses are safe. Side effects which are expected with vaccination, were mostly mild, moderate and lasted only a few days, similar to the last dose of the primary series. For Pfizer-Biotech and Modern, side effects were reported less frequently following the booster dose than the second dose of the primary series.
Who can get a Booster Dose
Everyone ages 18 and older is recommended to get a booster dose for the best protection against covid-19 and circulating variants
Booster doses are strongly recommended for people who are at the greatest risk for cva disease. People who are 18 years and older and live in a long term care setting and everyone 50 years and older.
Eligibility criteria to get COVID-19 Booster Dose
– Aged 18 or over.
– Aged 18 or over with a health condition that puts you at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19.
– Frontline health or social care worker.
– You live or work in a care home.
– Aged 18 or over and are a main caretaker of someone at high risk from COVID-19.
– You are aged 18 or over and live with someone who has weaken immune system (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis).
Do we need a COVID-19 Booster Dose
Most people were fully vaccinated against the coronavirus a relatively well protected from serious illness and death from covid-19. But even Highly effective vaccine is often become less overtime. Early research on vaccine that mRNA to protect you from the coronavirus like those from Pfizer and Moderna, suggest that they eventually lose some of their powers against infection and serious illness, no matter the variant of the virus. Getting another shot several months after the first round called a booster shot can help supercharge the vaccines effectiveness.
COVID Booster Dose In India
Precautionary Covid-19 vaccine dose is the same vaccine which has been given previously. Those who have received Covaxin will receive CoVaxin, those who have received primary to dose of Covishield will receive Covishield. From January 10, 2022 , India will start administering the precautionary dose of the vaccine. Those included are health care workers, frontline workers and those above 60 years of age with comorbidities.
Booster Dose For Frontline Workers, Seniors In India
Precautionary third dose of vaccines announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in December 2021. Which is now being given to health and frontline workers as COVID number spike in the country driven by Omicron.
Booster Dose of Corona Vaccine In India
– 10 lakh doses given on Day 1 till 8 PM. About 5.75 crore people are eligible for the third dose in the ongoing drive- 2.75 crores above the age of 60, 1 crore Health Care workers and 2 crore Frontline workers.
– The health ministry has said there is no need to register for the precautionary vaccine doses. Those eligible can directly take an appointment or walk into any vaccine centre. There is no decision yet on booster dose for adults.
– Those above the age of 60 years have comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension and other chronic ailments have the option of the getting the precautions dose on the advice of their doctor.
– Those eligible for booster shot will get only 9 months after receiving the second dose of the covid vaccine.
– The third dose will be the same vaccine the people have received for the first and second doses. There will be no mix and match, the centre has said. This means invisible to received two doses of Serum Institute’s Covishield vaccine will get a third dose of the same. Those who got Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin will get a third job of it.
Corona Vaccine Booster Dose In India
– The booster dose announcement done by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month amid continue demands for booster dose in view of the Omicron threat.
– Corona Warriors, Healthcare and Frontline workers have a use contribution in keeping the country safe. Therefore, from the point of view of precaution the government has decided to start administering booster dose for Frontline workers.
– But already with the omicron driven COVID surge, many doctors and healthcare workers have contracted the disease. Many of them for a second time. Infection among healthcare workers has been particularly high in the metros.
– All COVID vaccines whether they are from India, Israel, US, Europe, UK or China primarily disease-modifying. The don’t prevent infection. The booster dose is primarily to mitigate the severity of infection, hospitalization and death.
– A study from the UK has found that a third dose of vaccine can provide up to 88% protection against hospitalization from infection by the Omicron variant.